Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Good Shepherd

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father." John 10:11-18

This passage draws the contrast between the good and the bad, the faithful and unfaithful shepherd. The Shepherd is absolutely responsible for the sheep. To the Shepherd, it was the most natural thing to risk his life in defense of his flock. The true Shepherd never hesitated to risk, even to lay down his life for his sheep.

In this text Jesus calls Himself the Good Shepherd. The word good here carries the meaning of loveliness and being honorable.

This is one of my favorite sections in the Bible. We learn so much about the character and mission of Jesus in these few verses. For the next several weeks my blog post will be coming from this section of Scripture.

If there is a passage of Scripture that I believe we need to get back to, this is it. The lost people of this world don't need to here our Church traditions and doctrines! They need to know there is a man out there that has laid His life down for them. As followers of Christ we must heed the call that Jesus gives in this passage to get all the sheep together.

I hope you enjoy the next few post.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.

3 comments:

  1. love it! just what i needed this morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post...but hate that you refer to yourself as a sinner. The sinner is dead my friend. You are the righteousness of God in Christ.
    Love you homie!
    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved that section of scripture too, Dustin! Love your thoughts. I wish we were in the same town. We're definitely kindred spirits. I appreciate you, brother!
    Peace!
    BST

    ReplyDelete