Thursday, August 12, 2010

Earplugs Part 2

In the original Earplug post I talked about how we place so much emphasis on our worship that we forget what is most important to God and in return He does not hear our worship (I know some may not like that thought).

I would like to continue that discussion. In my reading the other day I stumbled across this:

Thus has the LORD of hosts said, "Dispense true justice and practice kindness and compassion each to his brother; and do not oppress the widow or the orphan, the stranger or the poor; and do not devise evil in your hearts against one another." Zechariah 7:9-10

Now there are many items we can discuss about this passage, but in keeping with the theme from last week I would like to talk about the poor and stranger.

On Wednesday some folks from our Church had the opportunity to serve breakfast to the homeless in our area. After we were done serving, a homeless couple needed a ride; so one of our members volunteered and decided they would give them a ride. My initial thought was "this is dangerous and there is no telling what they may do" (I'm sure God was pleased with my thought).

How often do we drive by the person with the sign on the side of the road and make some questionable remarks about them? How often do we pass by those who need help simply because of the way they may dress, look, or smell?

I am thankful that one of our members gave the homeless couple a ride. I am thankful because she was an example of Christ to this couple and to me (a minister).

I have asked God to forgive my thought towards this couple because from what I read in Amos and Zechariah I caused God to put His earplugs on.

As Christ followers I want to challenge us to get our focus back. I can list all kinds of numbers about orphans, homelessness, and etc. It should not be numbers that drive us. It should be the Cross of Christ that motivates us to go places that nobody else would go.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your point and what you are saying but I don't think it's a sin to be cautious. There are so many horrifying stories about trusting people being taken advantage of. I think that is what Jesus meant when he told the Apostles, "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." Matt 10:16

    It all goes back to what is on our hearts. If we dismiss people because it's the easier thing to do and use the excuse of being cautious that is one thing, being truly cautious and prayerful while giving of our time and money is another thing entirely. So don't knock caution—there is good reason for it. On the other hand we should be known for our love, not our judgements and condescension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, many outside the church see Christians as the leaders in the effort to expell the "stranger" from our country. Those of us who hear God say not to oppress the stranger or the poor on Sunday are many times quick to oppress when the focus is political rather than spiritual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the compliment, but let me admit honestly that my first thought was fear. When it was just bringing the woman, there was no concern in my mind. But, when the man, carrying a backpack (with who knows what in it) I did become concerned. So, let's give some praise to Hannah for offering to ride along, and to Kim for offering to go stay with my kids a little longer, and to my cell phone that was in my hand the whole ride. :-)
    We are allowed to be cautious, but we are also called to be like Jesus and to trust that God is in control... even if something bad may have happened to me. We are to be responsible, hence the reason I didn't put my kids in the car with these strangers.

    Thank you again though for the praise... I just hope that the couple saw Jesus in our actions.

    ReplyDelete