Thursday, August 5, 2010

Earplugs

I believe churches are placing their emphasis in the wrong place. Churches spend most of their time making sure Sunday is perfect for all the members and visitors. Don't get me wrong, I believe Sunday is important but I do not believe that it is the most important thing to God.

"Away with the noise of your songs! I will not listen to the music of your harps." Amos 5:23

This is a verse that my heritage has misused in my opinion for many years. We have proof text this verse to show that using instruments is wrong and therefore a sin. I think we need to look closely at why God put earplugs in and refused to listen to the worship of His people.

If you notice in verse 10 they closed their ears to those who spoke the truth. Verse 11 they are mean to the poor. Verse 12 they take bribes which has an affect on the poor.

I guess what I am trying to get at is, we have or focus in the wrong place. We can sing in pitch but if we neglect the poor God has earplugs in. We can have the best Communion Meditation but if our actions affect those around us God has His earplugs in.

Does our lifestyle reflect the worship we give on Sunday? If not, I think this verse shows how God sees and hears what we give.

So what's more important to God? Good singing or making sure those around us are okay?

More to come next week.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post...

    Now, what would happen if that was your next communion thought?

    Emphasis on such ridiculous personal desires...

    whether the notes are on the screens for all to see? whether a woman gets up to say a prayer or introduce something?

    Ezekiel 16:49 is it... good point David! Overfed? Unconcerned? Selfish? Yes, that should terrify us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think what's most important to God is that we're celebrating what He's doing in us and through us with others in our missional lives.

    While God certainly enjoys our praise to him on or off-key on Sundays in our church buildings, I don't think he pines to hear this more than his desires for us to expose the world to His kingdom and offer a free membership in it to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems that were all on the same page. My question is this, "what must we (Church) do to get our foucs on the people? I know this sounds like a simple question, but I believe so many churches struggle with self-centeredness.

    ReplyDelete